Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

How to Steal A Dog by Barbara O'Connor




I LOVE this book. It is beautifully written with incredible realistic fiction ideals. Barbara O'Connor really hit the hearts of readers with the desperation of these children who are forced to live in a car. My emotions were right on my sleeve with every bad turn that just kept coming. After chapter one, I was recommending this book to all of my fellow teachers.
For reading, teachers can show character change over time with Georgina. Georgina really evolves from a tough, sassy little girl who is just trying to make her life normal to ... well you read the book!
Also, did you notice O'Connor mirrors what is happening to Georgina in what is happening to Willy? Awesome craft!
For writing, students can see the value of recording and planning of ideas. O'Connor shows how writing ideas may change over the course of writing.
For character building, students can learn how not to judge others until you know what situation they are in. This is a huge concept to teach students. It is so nice to have a book that beautifully illustrates that point that kids can understand. Did I tell you that I LOVE this book?
View Book Talk and Vote.




1 comments:

arkreynolds said...

Oh my goodness, what have I gotten myself into? How can I ever be of help to a teacher as skilled as you? You do such an awesome job on the podcast! Your technology skills are to be commended. Do you offer classes to your colleagues?